Minutes of The Langley Middle School PTSA Board Meeting
January 27, 2015 2:30pm LMS School Library
Attendees: Eric Nerison, Mary Bakeman, Shawn Nolin, Jamie Zundel, Danielle Klein, Sarah Zundel, Katy Zundel
PTSA President Shawn Nolin called the meeting to order at 2:30 p.m.
PTA Treasurer Jamie Zundel reviewed the budget. There was a motion to approve the amended budget. The budget was approved by the majority.
Action Item: Board members discussed the importance of getting Teacher PTSA Grant Applications out this Friday January 30th to all teachers. On the form there will be an explanation of how we are working with a smaller budget than before. As of today, January 29, 2015, a form has been sent out for approval. If acceptable the form will be distributed by Mary Bakeman tomorrow, January 30, 2015.
Action Item: We have to have a quorum of 10 or more so on Wednesday February 11th we will call a PTSA general meeting at 11:30am-? during the LMS staff meeting. This is a district directed early release day. There will be a pot luck and the PTSA will bring dessert. We need to bring enough for 30 people and it will be a Valentines theme.
- Principal Eric Nerison reported that they have just implemented the cougar blue strategy. This is to make parents aware of upcoming important events and mandatory meetings. If parents see that color it needs there attention or signature or it’s something that they need to be aware of. It will be done once every 2 months or as needed. There will be one February and March because there’s a lot going on.
- The board discussed Day of service: Does not have anything scheduled yet? Not yet. The idea is that the first one we have won’t require a lot of skill and materials so it’s really a matter of picking a date with Paul.
- The board discussed snacks for testing week. March is the window and the schedule will be out soon. Snacks provided will be water, granola bars and fruit roll ups. 306 students at least 2 days and another short session so about 1000 snacks. We could try and organize homemade stuff that parents can bring into their child’s homeroom during testing. Need to send out email to parents. Whatever is left over could filter into homework club.
Eric let us know that we have a new staff member, Jennifer Allitori 8th grade English / SS.
Eric wanted to ask us how to get feedback from parents. His thoughts are to send out an update to parents to make sure people are abreast of things. Jamie said the luncheon harvest festival might be a good time to get parent feed back. The fun nights have been getting really positive feedback. The PTA could have a parent room to hang out while they wait for the kids to finish and it’s a place to get parent feedback. Eric said he will start a month at a glance.
In March Mary and Eric will be taking students to Mount Vernon to a young authors conference. Students were required to have a complete work of writing done to participate.
We will have a junior national honor society up and running soon.
Superintendent meeting Report by Shawn: They are talking of not doing a golden acorn celebration by itself but instead have the awards at teacher appreciation day or at the end of year bbq so the teachers are acknowledged. Still honoring people at LMS and putting together an assembly celebration during school for the nominees and then for the winners. Read the nominees application and then announce the winners. If there’s an assembly in May that can accommodate this will do it then, both acorn and apple. We can put up bins with cards available that kids can nominate teachers and it will also function as kudos and feedback for teachers. We need to set out multiple reminders. Nice to have kids at lms write up nominees. May 29th Friday there’s not a pride assembly yet a good time for this assemble.
Everyone thanked everyone for coming.
The meeting adjourned at 3:45 p.m.
Prepared by Danielle Klein