Today is a big day. Following over a year of hard work from many committed individuals, the redesigned Early Learning and Development Guidelines are available. The redesign process was led jointly by the Department of Early Learning, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, and Thrive by Five Washington. The redesigned Guidelines accomplish five goals set by the work group at the beginning of the redesign:
- Celebrate Washington’s increasingly diverse population.
- The Guidelines’ easy-to-read format also better supports parents as their child’s first and most important teachers with information about what children can do and learn at different stages of development.
- Extend the Guidelines through third grade and align with the K-3 learning expectations, including Common Core Standards.
- Reflect what we’ve learned about child development since 2005.
- Support ECEAP and Head Start standards.
The Guidelines can be accessed here: http://www.del.wa.gov/development/guidelines/default.aspx -the page also includes directions for ordering hard copies of the Guidelines. At this time the Guidelines are available in English, other languages will be made available soon. In addition, stay tuned for more information about roll out activities in the coming months.Jennifer Jennings-Shaffer Head Start State Collaboration Office in the Department of Early Learning